Audio OER creation course for RIESI CELT, September 2020
Regional Institute of English, South India (RIESI) and IT for Change (ITfC) are collaborating to design and conduct an online course on “Audio resources creation for language teaching ” for English language teachers, who are participating in the CELT program of RIESI. The course is based on the National ICT curriculum theme “Creating with ICT”. This note discusses the objectives, approach, requirements of participants and expected outcomes from the course.
Objectives of the course
- To understand the connection between the word and the thought (can we communicate abstract ideas without words, i.e., sounds) and to recognize that the combinations of sounds and what they describe are arbitrary
- To explore new digital methods for language learning. Exploring Audacity FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) tool to create rich language resources for use in a language lesson
- To learn recording and editing audio using Audacity. Making your audio resource richer by using multiple audio files (background music)
- To introduce the philosophy of creating and adapting existing audio resources (Open Educational Resources created with FOSS)
- To publish created audio resource on a public repository for the benefit of all teachers
The course will be held over 4 webinar sessions and each webinar duration will be for a duration of 90 mins.
- Session1 : Overview of the course. Exploring the role of audio in language learning. Introduction to audio resources/ICT, and identification of audio resource to be created by each participant.
- Offline activity — Install Audacity on computer. Record audio clip using Audacity or mobile based apps.
- Sessions 2, 3 and 4 : These sessions will be hands-on sessions. Here the participants will create the audio resource on the selected topic and will some sound effects to the recorded audio clips. The participants will present their audio files and will upload on an online repository.
- The webinar is proposed to be held on the following dates September 28, 30 and October 1 & 3. The webinar timings will be 11 to 12:30 for the Secondary School Teachers and 3 to 4:30 for the Primary School Teachers.
Requirements from the participants
- All the participants should have a computer (desktop or laptop) along with a good mic + speaker (headphones).
- Audacity application must be installed on the computer. For installation instructions, refer https://teacher-network.in/OER/index.php/Learn_Audacity#Installation.
Join the webinar sessions
All the 4 webinar sessions will be held on the following dates: September 28th, 30th and October 1st, 3rd. The webinar timings as below
- For Secondary school teacher is from 11.00 am to 12.30 pm
- For Primary School Teachers is from 3 pm to 4.30 pm
It is expected that at the end of the course, each participant would have created an audio resource, on their selected topic (poem or prose or any other resource). This resource would be published on a public repository. Participants who successfully complete the course and upload their resources on the repository will get a certificate of completion from RIESI and IT for Change.
|Role of Audio in Language Teaching Learning||
||Moodle course page
Learn Audacity handout
|1. Using different applications for audio recording
2. Understanding the technical specifications for audio – headphones, microphone
3. Understanding of Audacity editing tools.
|1. Effectiveness of adding audio effects
2. Understanding when and how to use audio effects to the audio's
3. Using an audio editing tool to add sound elements.
||Learn Audacity and www.SoundCloud.com|
|1. Using an audio editing tool to enhance an audio resource
2. Understanding of using different background musics to make more effective of the audio
3. Publish created audio's on web.
||Learn Audacity and www.SoundCloud.com|
- Primary school teachers SoundCloud album
- Secondary school teachers SoundCloud album
- November Secondary school teachers album
- December CELT Audio resources album
- January CELT Audio resources album
- March CELT Audio resources album
- Install Audacity application in your computer
- Download different background music's to your computer
- Checklist for recording good audio clip
- Fill this form, with your topic for audio resource creation in the course
- What is copyright and what is OER - See short video
- Watch this video to know upload your audio files on SoundCloud audio repository.
Online OER audio repositories
Reading materials on ELT
- Krashens hypotheses for SLA (Second Language Acquisition)
- Multi-linguality, education and harmony - Prof Rama Kant Agnihotri (Multi-lingualism, as a resource for ELT
- Multi-linguality_and_the_teaching_of_English_in_India - Prof Rama Kant Agnihotri
- National Curriculum 2005 Framework Position Paper on Teaching English
- National Curriculum 2005 Framework Position Paper on Teaching of Indian Languages
- Digital Storytelling, an ICT-based method of co-constructing and transacting curriculum
- Rich recitations
- Poetry online
- Great speeches
To fill the course feedback form click here