- 1 Introduction
- 2 Working with the application
- 3 Ideas for resource creation
Indic-anagram is a free and open source word game application. It has in-built word lists for different categories. A vocabulary editor is included, and the user can download other word lists and create their own word lists for existing or new categories. Indic-anagram is forked from KAnagram and provides support for the complex words in Indic (Indian) languages, such as Kagunita and Ottakshara in Kannada.
|ICT Competency||Indic-anagram is a free and open source application for creating subject (language) resources.
This tool can be used to strengthen language skills (vocabulary).
|Educational application and relevance||Indic-anagram is an educational game that uses anagrams. It provides a set of jumbled letters and the user needs to guess what the original word is. There is no time limit or limitations at attempts, and a hint system is built in.
It can also be used to build general knowledge, by providing different examples of a category (such as different kinds of spices, or different festivals etc)
|Version||Version - 2.2.0|
|Configuration||No specific configuration requirements|
|Other similar applications||Tanglet and Kanagram|
|The application on mobiles and tablets||Anagram mobile applications for Android similar to Indic-anagram are available on Fdroid - AnagramSolver and Agram.|
|Development and community help||www.ITforChange.net|
Overview of Features
- Indic-anagram features several built-in word lists, hints, and feature which reveals the original word.
- Indic-anagram also has a vocabulary editor, so you can make your own vocabularies. You can also upload a word list as a .csv (comma separated variable) file
- The application is not part of the current Ubuntu custom distribution 16.04 Kalpavriksha.
- Download application from this link.
- Double click on the downloaded "indic-anagram_2.2.0_amd64.deb" file and this file will open with Ubuntu software center.
- Now click on the "Install" icon and Enter your Ubuntu login password.
- Once the installation is complete, you can find this application under "Applications -> Accessories".
Working with the application
- Language menu: use to change the language.
- Vocabulary menu : use this to change the vocabulary category
- Settings: use this to add or remove new vocabulary and for adding your own vocabulary category
- Anagram: puzzle to be solved.
- Text box: allows you to input your attempts to solve the current word puzzle.
- Hint: a short sentence will appear, describing the current word puzzle.
- Next: lets you switch to the next guess
- Show answer: this button solves the current word puzzle.
Playing a word game
Once you open the application, it will start displaying jumbled letters and you have to guess what word the jumble of letters represents. If you cannot guess what the word is, press the "hint" button to get some information about the jumbled word.
Once you think you know the correct answer, type the letters into the text box field. Click "next" option to go for next question.
Indic-anagram in Indian languages
Indic-anangram supports some of our local languages like Telugu, Kannada, Hindi, Marathi and Bengali. Similar customisations are possible to support more Indic languages.
After changing the application language, you can play the game with your selected language. Click on the setting option to change or add vocabularies.
Creating own vocabularies
Double click on the created vocabularies to add new words in it and click on the "Save" to save. Click on plus (+) sign to create your own vocabularies directory and add as many words as you can and click on "Done" to complete vocabularies configuration.
Export and import vocabularies
From this application you can export existing vocabularies in a 'csv' (comma separated variable) format.
Go to "setting", select your vocabulary and click on down arrow mark to download in csv format. On the same way you can upload your own csv files which can includes text and comments (hints).
Ideas for resource creation
You can use this to build quiz and question puzzles to learn language. You can also create word lists for concepts in other subjects, such as 'Forms of energy' for Science or 'Mountains of India' for Geography.